Sunday, July 23, 2006

Why Microsoft's Zune Will Fail

Microsoft recently announced that it's going after the iPod with a new product family, brand-named "Zune".

Zune’s initial marketing attempts seem ill-advised. Their Coming Zune website is creepy, with a splash page showing a big unshaven bald guy and a Tom Thumb-like midget stroking a rabbit. There is also a Zune "blog".

Once again, Microsoft seems like the nerdy kid at school who's trying too hard to be cool - sort of like the wannabe in Offspring's "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)". Well, actually, like Paul Allen smashing a glass guitar at EMP's grand opening.

I don't know if it's just me, but every time Microsoft announces a project like this, I can sense their marketing department trying to manipulate me. It just feels too corporate.

The beauty of Apple and the iPod is that:

1) Apple created the first digital music distribution model that works.
2) The iTunes and iPod growth is and has always been organic.
3) Apple is, well, cool.

In order to succeed, Microsoft has to:

1) Make their marketing feel sincere instead of corporate, greed-driven, and unoriginal.
2) Actually create new, interesting products instead of just saying "me too!"

Otherwise, they will always fail when going head-to-head against Apple.

1 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are a bit early in your pronouncement.

Your dissing of the flash animation is apt though it is creepy.

And remember that MS can make good hardware re: their mice and keyboards.

I for one don't like the way apple locks you into itunes, I think itunes user interface blows, but then I'm alwasy kinda rooting for the underdog and in this case the underdog is MS. heh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home