Saturday, July 01, 2006

Eddie's Done it Again

Eddie! Why?

He's done it again - alienated his Republican fans. In the latest chapter of VH1's "Storytellers", Eddie sings a sophomoric revision of the Phil Ochs classic, "Here's to the State of Mississippi", replacing the state, people, schools, cops, and churches of Mississippi with John Roberts, Alberto Gonzales, Dick Cheney, and President George W. Bush.

I like Eddie and I like Pearl Jam (Ten would be the one album I'd want if stranded on a desert island), but it pains me that they continue down this path. I agree with Eddie that the band should remain true to its ideals, but why not protest in a more subtle, artful way, instead of in an explosion of hatred and anger?

If they're going to go that route, why not direct some hatred and anger at the suicide bombers and car bombers in the Middle East who target women and children in markets, mosques, funerals, and coffee houses? Aren't these monsters worthy of at least one vitriolic song?

Pearl Jam used to be storytellers. The reason their debut album "Ten" is their best, is that it is full of great stories. Now they sound like angry children yelling "I hate you! I hate you!"

If Pearl Jam wants an example of a protest song that is effective and truly creates dialogue, it should turn to songs like "Alice's Restaurant." Arlo Guthrie's classic uses true storytelling magic, humor, irony, and ART to convey his message.

Those are the traits of a true storyteller.

Arlo's song was such a work of genius that even Richard Nixon was rumored to have owned a copy. Arlo wrote a song that everybody wanted to hear, thus ensuring that his message was widespread.

Do you hear that Eddie? I want to buy Pearl Jam albums. I miss you guys. Write something thoughful instead of bombastic, so that, even if I disagree with you, I'll want to rush out and buy your album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home