Sunday, April 02, 2006

Do Cell Phones Cause Brain Cancer?

Typical of the medical research community, a new study has been released that contradicts a bunch of previous studies.

The new study concludes that there is a link between heavy cell phone use and brain cancer. (Heavy use is defined as over 2000 hours of lifetime use, which probably includes everybody who owns a cell phone). Previous studies have shown no link between cell phones and brain cancer.

Who should we believe?

There is one constant among medical studies: no matter what a study concludes, there will always be another study that concludes the exact opposite.

I suppose in this case, it's prudent to err on the conservative side.

Here are my options:

a) Cut back on cell phone use.

b) Stop using cell phones altogether.

c) Use a hands-free headset.

The problems with these options are:

a) My cell phone has become one of those "once I have one, I can't live without it" types of devices. I imagine stopping cell phone use is like quitting smoking - it'll probably take 8 or 9 tries, and I'd always have the urge to go back. (Not that I'd know, never having smoked the pungent little tobacco sticks.)

b) See a).

c) I have yet to find a headset which transmits my voice clearly enough so that anyone can understand me. Apparently, we can send a probe to Venus, but we can't design a decent boom microphone.

The logical follow-on question is, if I'm a heavy user, will getting rid of my cell phone stop the growth of the brain tumor my cell phone has already created in my head?

I guess I'll just wait for the next study that tells me cell phones don't cause cancer.

I'm sure it'll be released tomorrow.
________________________________________

Post script: If any of my readers can recommend a good cell-phone headset, please post a comment or e-mail me at thephantomrepublican@yahoo.com. My brain would be very grateful.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use my cell phone quite abit, i mean about over 3000 hours of life time use! Should i worry about brain cancer at all?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home